I founded Weigh-Less in 1975, envisioning all the values and support that I wanted to receive as an overweight person. Weigh-Less was to incorporate all the tools and support that I needed to assist me in losing weight. I wanted a live-able, do-able and afford-able eating plan that would be founded on sound nutritional principles. With Weigh-Less, I knew that whatever weight I lost, it would be done in a healthy and sustainable way. The vision was to create an environment where Members could come and feel secure and supported on their journey to Goal Weight. The idea would be to have Groups, led by former overweight people who had empathy, and could support the members both individually, and as a Group.
These are the foundations that Weigh-Less was built on – the Weigh-Less trilogy – the Group experience, the Group Leader and the Weight Management Programme, with the Member in the middle. Once you join Weigh-Less, your challenge becomes our challenge, and your success, our success!
Our mission at Weigh-Less is for every member to attain and maintain Target Weight the healthy way. Once you walk through our doors, your challenge is our challenge. Your body is our business and we care. Don’t ever give up on your dream – your journey starts here today. - Mary Holroyd
The Weigh-Less Support System
Weigh-Less ensures that you have all the emotional and physical support you need to attain and maintain your Goal Weight the healthy way.
This support system is embodied in the Weigh-Less Trilogy. The ‘Weigh-Less Trilogy’ is made up of three main factors; The Group Leader, The Weight Management Programme and the in-Group experience, with you (the member) in the centre.
The Weight Management Programme takes the guess work out of losing weight and maintaining weight the healthy way.
The Weigh-Less Group Leader is a mentor – someone who conveys wisdom from their past experiences and guides our members to make the best decisions for a healthy weight and lifestyle. The Group Leader leads by example. He or she is your main form of support and mentorship – look to her for advice and guidance, will act as your friend and your confidant, and together you will find a way to overcome all obstructions (whether physical or emotional) so that you can take your final step to Goal Weight success.
The Weigh-Less Group experience is a unique feature that ensures you are surrounded by ‘buddies’ who will share your weight loss experience with you. Motivational talks are designed to give you support in the form of conveying nutritional knowledge and emotional and psychological support.
Weigh-Less has always placed the members as the most important person in the organisation. The Weigh-Less Trilogy reinforces this by placing the member in the middle, forming the driving force behind the eating plan, menus, the In-Group activities, the type of message the Group Leader gives, as well as which intervention the member follows are all driven by the member’s needs.
Each of these factors plays an equally fundamental role in the road to achieving Goal Weight. In fact, it is this winning formula that has seen Weigh-Less form the credible reputation it has today.
In addition to your Group Leader and group support, we provide the following support channels:
Just recently launched, the new Weigh-Less website is a useful tool designed especially with our members in mind. Let your taste buds be tantalized by delicious recipes and be inspired by Weigh-Less success stories!
Get your weekly dose of healthy nutritional information and the latest news from Weigh-Less by joining our free E-Club.
Our ever-growing Facebook Group is a great support group for young and old. Join this Group to connect with Weigh-Less members who are on the same journey as you.
Get to goal by following our motivational updates on twitter.
Subscribe to what has become a 'must have' in all members' homes – the Weigh-Less magazine! Weigh-Less' editorial offers balanced, informative, refreshing, holistic and well researched articles guiding individuals on their journey to live a full and balanced life. We make every effort to dole out fitness news, cutting edge nutrition, inspirational success stories, sumptuous food, lifestyle advice, real-life celebs and of course glamorous beauty. Weigh-Less is not missing a beat and we believe you shouldn't either! Subscribe now and be in on all the happenings around you and in Weigh-Less.
The Weigh-Less Weight Management Programme:
Since Weigh-Less' inception in 1975, our mission statement has remained for every member to attain and maintain their ideal weight the healthy way. We have assisted hundreds and thousands of people of all ages to lose weight successfully. We not only help members to reach your Goal Weight, but we also teach our members how to maintain their ideal weight for the rest of their life.
The Weigh-Less Way Eating Plan is based on prudent dietary principles and we show members how to tailor your weight management programme to suit individual needs, taking cognisance of lifestyle, culture and social behaviour, as well as food preferences. We incorporate information on the importance of complex carbohydrates, low-fat high-quality proteins and dairy and the need for healthy fats from nuts, seeds, and oils.
The credibility of the Weigh-Less brand is such that everything compiled in food lists, menu plans and all material given is done under strict dietary guidelines and principals in conjunction with dieticians and the medical fraternity.
Each member is given their own individual formula. Your Weigh-Less Formula consists of foods from each of the major food groups, as depicted in the Weigh-Less Food Pyramid. If your Weigh-Less Formula is your ‘recipe’ for weight management, then your Weigh-Less Food Groups are the ‘ingredients’ to your recipe. When following a recipe it is important to use the correct ingredients in the specified amounts, otherwise your recipe will ‘flop’! so too, when following your Weigh-Less Formula, you must include all the specified ingredients – Weigh-Less Food Groups – in the specified amounts. Nutritionally speaking, there are no bad or junk foods. All foods are good. There are, however, bad eating patterns or ways of eating. All the food allowed in the Weigh-Less Eating Plan are therefore defined in the food list as either Good, Better or Best so as to educated members on how to make appropriate food choices. The Best choices are the most effective in weight management and health promotion.
Why Weigh-Less is different:
- Weigh-Less is not a diet; it is a scientifically formulated healthy eating plan.
- There are no pills, shakes and meal replacements.
- Weigh-Less includes all food groups.
- Weigh-Less is adaptable to every age, culture and lifestyle.
- Weigh-Less individualises an Eating Plan according to your Profile and personality.
- Weigh-Less provides you with a sense of belonging and purpose through our unique in-Group experience.
- You are held accountable through weekly weigh-ins.
- You are motivated and supported by a trained Group Leader and Members also on their own weight loss journey.
- Weigh-Less is the only health and weight management company in South Africa to be named as an endorsement entity by the South African Department of Health.
The Weigh-Less Journey
What to expect on your journey to Target Weight:
- On the week that you join, you will receive a personalised Goal Weight assessment and be assigned a healthy Goal Weight that will be divided into smaller achievable steps together with a specific Weigh-Less formula.
- Your formula may need to be changed to meet your changing needs, so please inform your Group Leader if any of your needs change, such as stopping or starting exercise, a busy social life, or a change in stress levels.
- Your Eating Plan will be explained to you after your first weigh-in. You can ask your Group Leader to repeat this explanation to you at any stage through your journey to Goal Weight.
- You will be Profiled according to your lifestyle factors and be given an A, B or C profile. This is determined by your personality, lifestyle factors and the way you approach food. Each Profile will be given different coping strategies dependent on their Profile as well as specific Break-Out rules to suit each Profile.
- Your caring Group Leader will contact you within 72 hours of your first weekly Group meeting to make sure you are managing and to answer any questions you may have. Please inform your Group Leader when the best times are to contact you.
- Important things to discuss with your Group Leader include feeling hungry or very full on the Steps to Success Plan, if there are certain foods that are unfamiliar to you or any foods you cannot eat, and to request any assistance in understanding the Steps to Success Plan.
- You are encouraged to attend your weekly Group meetings so that your Group Leader can monitor your weight loss progress and provide individualised advice along with a short, motivational Group talk. Let your Group Leader know what your week has been like and where it has been difficult to follow the eating plan so that you can be given the necessary coping interventions. As a visual aid of your weekly progress, your Group Leader will plot your weight journey on your Weigh-Less Step Chart.
The Journey through the Steps:
Every Weigh-Less member is an individual with a certain amount of weight to lose before achieving his/her Goal Weight. For this reason, the Weigh-Less Plan is designed to ensure that YOU, the member, drive your own progress through the programme with the support of your Group Leader.
Advancement through the programme is therefore dependent on your personal commitment and your weight loss progress. The Weigh-Less Weight Management Programme is divided into 10 Steps. On Step 1 your Group Leader will calculate your weight loss Steps according to the total amount of weight you need to lose. Movement from one weight loss Step to the next is determined by your weekly weight losses. If you lose weight, you will move to a higher Step, with a greater variety of food choices and more flexibility in terms of weighing and measuring food portions. If you gain weight, you will move to a lower Step, with stricter, weighed food choices. For each of the 10 Steps that you will pass through on your journey to Goal Weight, you will be given specific Step Rules to follow, so as to optimise and ensure consistent weight loss.
Lower Step Rules emphasise ‘best’ food choices and accurate weighing of food using a food scale. Higher Step Rules emphasise appropriate food choices (‘Good’, ‘Better’ and ‘Best’ foods) and using household measurements.
As you move through the weight loss Steps, you will receive new dietary Step rules, applicable to the Step you are on. These rules teach you valuable facts about nutrition that you will never forget. Before you leave your Group meeting, make sure you understand your new dietary rules.
Weight Loss Health Improvement and Step Awards will be presented to you to recognise your weight losses and movement through the different weight loss Steps. When you reach Steps 2, 3, 5, 9 and 10 you will receive meal options applicable to that Step. Each month In Group Weigh-Less will have exciting promotions to inspire you to achieve Target Weight and beyond!
The week after you reach Goal Weight, you will begin the Additions programme – a 4-step programme designed to stabilise your body at your new Goal Weight and prepare you for a lifelong Weigh-Less lifestyle as your portions are increased.
On successful completion of the four Additions, you will be awarded your Goal Weight Membership Certificate and receive your Goal Weight pack containing your Goal Weight Member Booklet which includes your Luxury Foods List. This proves to you that you have fully understood the concept behind a healthy lifestyle, and you have been successful in living it!
Finally, as proof of Weigh-Less’ on-going support, you can now weigh-in once a month at no charge or pay the current Goal Weight member fee and weigh-in every week if required (and continue receiving motivation and the confirmation of your success). To retain your Weigh-Less Goal Weight Membership, you will need to remain within 2kg of your Weigh-Less Goal Weight.
The Weigh-Less Promise:
- You can expect to be met by a caring, friendly, empathetic Weigh-Less Group Leader who has lost weight on the Weigh-Less eating plan and can relate to YOUR yearning for a slimmer, healthier you – for life.
- You will have access each week to Group meetings run by passionate, well-trained Group Leaders who have both the empathy and training to assist you in attaining Goal Weight membership and staying there for life.
- You can expect your Group Leader to record your present weight, height and bone structure while asking about your lifestyle (activity levels, social needs, eating requirements, etc).
- Based on the details above, you can expect to receive a healthy Goal Weight to work towards, as well as a Weigh-Less Formula to suit your individual needs and lifestyle.
- You will be profiled according to your lifestyle and personality.
- You will receive an interchangeable ‘mix and match’ menu plans and a food list book to support you on your journey.
- Your individual weight loss will be monitored through weekly Group weigh-ins.
- You will be presented with Awards to recognise your weight loss achievements.
- You can expect your Group Leader to be discreet at all times. You can expect to be introduced to existing members who understand your weight loss struggles, because they are or have been in the same predicament, providing the opportunity to network with other achievers.
- You can expect to feel the energy and positive atmosphere that are part of the Weigh-Less weekly Group meetings.
- You can expect to be invited to stay for the motivational message – given every week come rain or shine!
- You can expect to feel motivated to strive towards your personal targets and Target Weight as your Group Leader talks on various aspects of health and weight management.
- You can expect to be urged to stay for an explanation of the Eating Plan on your first week and every week thereafter if you wish. Take advantage of this by asking questions to clear up any confusion and make sure that you understand everything you need to know about your eating plan.
- You can expect to head home after every weekly Group meeting feeling hopeful and positive about your journey to Target Weight.
- You can expect to receive up-to-date news on the latest food products and weight management information via the Weigh-Less Group environment, Group talks and hand outs.
- As a Weigh-Less Goal Weight member within your Goal Weight range you are entitled to weigh-in once per calendar month free of charge at any Weigh-Less Group so your weight maintenance can be monitored and supported.
- Most of all, we promise to care!
The Weigh-Less food endorsement division has been in operation since 1978. With the variety of foods manufactured by leading South African manufacturers as well as the Weigh-Less Green Band products, it’s no wonder Weigh-Less holds the dominant position in the health and weight management sector of the food and beverage market – giving consumers a range of line items that have been specially formulated to help them make that healthy choice.
The Weigh-Less Food products are specifically formulated for use in the Weigh-Less Weight Management Programme and are also perfect for those wanting to follow a healthy lifestyle. The Weigh-Less Foods have been designed with our members in mind, and includes a wide variety of products from canned fruits and pasta sauces to nougat and dessert mousses. Our bright green packaging makes our foods instantly recognisable. Purchasing any of the Weigh-Less Food products gives you the assurance that you are making the BEST choice for yours and your families health. The products have been developed and manufactured to our strict standards and fit into your eating plan perfectly.
Weigh-Less does not expect anyone to live a life devoid of treats, but a healthy lifestyle does require knowledge on how to incorporate these little treats into a daily eating plan without negatively impacting on the weight loss you have achieved so far. The Weigh-Less Break-Out range was developed to offer members, and weight conscious individuals tasty alternatives to traditional high fat, high calorie treats. They are portion packed and specially formulated so that if used correctly, they will not interfere with or affect your weight loss.